Why a Wiki
The Demand-Drive Open Data (DDOD) website has been converted into a wiki in order to meet its mission. It's been determined that the knowledge base associated with DDOD Use Cases has a lot of value in itself. The wiki format is optimal to enable full community participation and governance -- in this case Data Users, Data Owners and DDOD Admins.
Specifically, the benefits are:
- MediaWiki is the most popular and widely know wiki platform. It's has many extensions to optimize the site for DDOD needs.
- Editing articles is easy, with a simple editor and ability to embed imaging. It's also possible to use pure HTML for copy and paste from other locations, as well as fine-grained format control.
- It's easy to upload data files and other documentation.
- There's full visibility of who made what changes. It's easy to compare between any version of a page.
- Storage of articles, categories and other artifacts is highly structured, along with an API to interact with them.